Obligations of owners and registered agents of Australian registered ships
- A Registration Certificate shall be used for the lawful navigation of a ship; it shall not be detained and shall be delivered to the Registrar on request.
- The new owners of a registered ship shall forward to the Registrar within 14 days of purchase the
Bill of Sale and Declaration of Transfer.
- The owner and registered agent shall at all times maintain the markings of a ship.
- A registered ship shall only be referred to by its registered name.
- The owner and registered agent shall comply with the flag requirements.
- The owner and registered agent shall not conceal Australian nationality.
- The registered agent shall advise the Registrar of any change in the name and address of the owner and the registered agent within 14 days of the change and return the Registration Certificate.
- The registered agent shall advise the Registrar of any alteration to the ship within 14 days of completion, submit a Builder’s Alteration form and return the Registration Certificate.
- The owner shall advise the Registrar immediately of the loss of a ship or the fact that the ship is no longer entitled to be registered and return the Registration Certificate.
- No person shall make a false or misleading statement in relation to a registered ship.
Penalty for non-compliance
Depending on which of the above obligations is not complied with the maximum penalty for the most serious offence is $20,000, two years imprisonment or both.