How to become a VTS Authority
Establishing Vessel Traffic Services
Establishing an on-going operation of Vessel Traffic Services (VTS) is a significant investment.
Criteria for authorisation
VTS must ensure:
- the operational objectives are being met
- the technical and operational performance is acceptable
- the issues identified and defined in determining the need for the VTS have been either alleviated or at least reduced to an acceptable level.
VTS must demonstrate:
- the need for a VTS for the area
- the applicant can meet the responsibilities of a VTS authority mentioned in the VTS Guidelines.
The following guidance and application documents are available to assist with making an application:
- Information on applying for authorisation - Guidance for Assessing, Appointing and Auditing VTS
- Checklist for Applicants
- Application Form
- Documentation to be completed and forwarded with the Application Form includes:
- Compliance Matrix - IMO Resolution A.857 (20) Guidelines for Vessel Traffic Services
- AMSA447 - Annex A - Conformance with IALA Recommendation V-119 on implementation of Vessel Traffic Services
- AMSA448 - Annex B - Conformance with IALA Recommendation O-132 on Quality Management for Aids to Navigation Authorities
- AMSA449 - Annex C - Conformance with IALA Guideline V-127 on Operational Procedures for Vessel Traffic Services
- AMSA450 - Annex D - Conformance with Guideline 1089 on Provision of Vessel Traffic Services (INS, TOS & NAS)
- AMSA475 - Annex E - Conformance with IALA Recommendation V-103 on the Standards for Training and Certification of VTS Personnel
- AMSA476 - Annex F - Conformance with IALA Recommendation V-128 Operational and Technical Performance requirements for VTS equipment
- AMSA477 - Annex G - Conformance with IALA Guideline No.1083 on Standard Nomenclature to Identify and refer to VTS Centres
Term of Authorisation
VTS Authorities are authorised for a period of 5 years, pending successful on-going audit requirements by AMSA.
For VTS queries, please contact us via email.
Find out more about Vessel Traffic Services.