Connect with us
- affirm that contributions to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority's (AMSA) online spaces including our Facebook and Twitter pages are welcomed from all and
- ensure that contributions are appropriate, respect the needs and sensitivities of others and are lawful.
Use of AMSA’s social media channels
You accept that AMSA will moderate its social media channels as far as possible in accordance with its moderation policy as set out further below. You further agree that AMSA’s moderation will occur entirely at AMSA’s discretion.
Do not use AMSA’s social media channels to report an emergency situation to AMSA. In the event of an emergency, contact AMSA immediately on the details provided in the contact us section of our website.
You agree to only use the AMSA social media channels for lawful purposes and in a manner that does not infringe the rights of, or restrict the use and enjoyment of the channel, by any other person.
Therefore, in using AMSA’s social media channels, you agree:
- to always treat other people using the social media platforms with respect and courtesy
- not to use the social media channels to defame, libel, insult, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or attack anyone
- not to post any material that is offensive, obscene, vulgar or violent
- not to post any material that vilifies or discriminates against any particular gender, religion, sexual preference, age, disability, marital or domestic status, race/ethnicity, criminal record or political opinion
- not to post any material that is fraudulent, deceptive or misleading including to not to not impersonate or falsely represent any other person or organisation
- not to post any material that you do not have a legal right to post (for example, material that infringes the copyright or other intellectual property rights of another person or material which is confidential)
- not to post any material that advertises, offers or promotes anything of a commercial nature (for example any material which may breach the Spam Act 2003 (Cth))
- not to post any material or encourage any conduct that would constitute a criminal offence or give rise to civil liability or is otherwise illegal or unlawful
- not introduce any virus or other form of malicious code into the social media channels
- not to deliberately disrupt discussions (e.g. trolling)
- not to post irrelevant or excessively long material
- not to post material that identifies matters that are currently the subject of legal proceedings or would break a court’s non-publication order.
This is an apolitical site and as such, posts that are political in content and/or nature will be removed.
Breaches of this policy
AMSA greatly appreciates receiving feedback and suggestions via social media channels and will maintain consistent monitoring. However, we may not respond directly to individual messages but rather choose to respond if there is an on–going theme identified by relevant discussion groups.
If you follow @AMSA_News or @AMSAUpdates we will not automatically follow you back. This is to discourage the use of direct messaging, avoid resource wasting spam handling and so that you can also easily identify other key Twitter users that we think are relevant. However, being followed @AMSA_News or @AMSAUpdates does not imply endorsement of any kind.
We welcome feedback and ideas from all our followers, and endeavour to join the conversation where possible. However, we are not able to reply individually to all the messages we receive via Twitter.
The usual ways of contacting AMSA (including in emergency situations) are detailed in the contact us section of our website.
Social media services may occasionally be unavailable. AMSA accepts no responsibility for lack of service due to downtime.
License under which you post content
In posting material to an AMSA social media channel, you agree that you licence (as licensor) that material to the public under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia licence. Please read the terms carefully. In licensing your material under this licence, you agree to ensure that you have all necessary rights (including in respect of copyright and other intellectual property rights) from any owners of material which you include in your post in order to lawfully post that material under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia licence. You remain entirely responsible and liable for any infringement you may make of another person’s intellectual property rights as a result of your postings to AMSA’s social media channels.
AMSA records any information posted to these pages and uses that information for the purpose of administering its social media pages and considering and/or addressing any comments made. No attempt will be made to further identify individuals except where authorised or required by law. AMSA is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of the host or any linked websites.
AMSA does not accept responsibility for any loss, damage, liability, cost or expense however caused or incurred (including through negligence), which you may directly or indirectly suffer in connection with your use of AMSA’s social media channels or any linked site or facility, nor do we accept any responsibility for any loss arising out of your use of, or reliance on, information accessed using AMSA’s social medial channels. This disclaimer does not exclude liability arising under statute if, and to the extent, such liability cannot be lawfully excluded.
While reasonable efforts are made by AMSA to ensure inappropriate material on its social medial channels is identified and moderated, AMSA does not guarantee that it will identify all inappropriate material or that inappropriate material will be removed in a timely fashion or at all. However, AMSA reserves the right to remove any posts or comments at its sole discretion.
AMSA accepts no responsibility whether expressed or implied for the accuracy, currency and completeness of any information posted on its social media channels or its relevance and suitability for any purpose. AMSA does not endorse or otherwise support any view, opinion or comment posted by a user or contributor on AMSA social media channels. AMSA recommends that users exercise their own skill and care with respect to evaluating such posts or comments and that they carefully evaluate the accuracy, currency, completeness and relevance of the post or comment for their purposes.
AMSA accepts no legal liability whatsoever arising from, or connected to its failure to moderate any post or comment or the use of, or reliance on, any post or comment by a user.
These terms are governed by the laws of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). You agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of these laws and the courts of the ACT in respect of these terms and your use of AMSA’s social media channels.
For further information about AMSA please visit our website or email@example.com