Oil and Chemical pollution prosecutions
Disposal of oil and chemicals
Commonwealth and State legislation prohibits the disposal of oil and chemicals at sea, except under specific circumstances.
The following table lists completed prosecutions for the period 1997 to July 2009 for Commonwealth and complementary or similar State legislation that implements the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL).
Note many of these cases are not available as published court reports.
A case law search on Australian internet legal sites will provide records of decisions that are available.
Cases have been publicized in press reports at the time of the court findings.
This list has been compiled based upon information provided.
- Commonwealth Protection of the Sea (Prevention of Pollution from Ships) Act 1983 (AMSA)
- State/NT legislation:
- NSW - Marine Pollution Act 2012
- SA - Protection of Marine Waters (Prevention of Pollution from Ships) Act 1987
- WA - Pollution of Waters by Oil and Noxious Substances Act 1987
- TAS - Pollution of Waters by Oil and Noxious Substances Act 1987
- VIC - Pollution of Waters by Oil and Noxious Substances Act 1986
- VIC - Environment Protection Act 1970
- QLD - Transport Operations (Marine Pollution) Act 1995.