Garbage Pollution Prosecutions
Disposal of garbage
Commonwealth and State legislation prohibits the disposal of most forms of garbage at sea.
The following table lists completed prosecutions for the period 1997 to 2009 for Commonwealth and complementary or similar State legislation that implements the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL).
These cases are not published court reports.
- Commonwealth Protection of the Sea (Prevention of Pollution from Ships) Act 1983 (AMSA)
- State/NT legislation:
- SA - Protection of Marine Waters (Prevention of Pollution from Ships) Act 1987
- TAS - Pollution of Waters by Oil and Noxious Substances Act 1987
- VIC - Pollution of Waters by Oil and Noxious Substances Act 1986
- VIC - Environment Protection Act 1970
- QLD - Transport Operations (Marine Pollution) Act 1995.