Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Seafarers and qualifications

Working on a ship in Australia
All domestic seafarers in Australia are regulated under the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessels) National Law Act 2012.

If you work on a vessel in Australia and carry out any commercial activity, the National Law applies to you. If you work on an international vessel in Australian waters, or any vessel that operates internationally, the Navigation Act 2012 applies to you.


Before you can work on a domestic commercial vessel in Australia, you will need to get a Certificate of Competency. This proves you are capable to master a vessel and its passengers.

More information is available on the following pages:

Obtaining your qualification
Sea time and taskbooks
Training Organisations
International Qualification recognition

Twitter Facebook YouTube Copyright · Accessibility · Site Map · Privacy

Information Publication Scheme Davis Langdon Certification Services