This page provides links to legislation related to and enabling AMSA's operations. AMSA accepts no liability or responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided.
The legislation provided online may not be the official version and should not be used for legal purposes without reference to the official published version.
For legislation and supporting documents relevant to the marine environment, please see the regulations page in the Environment division of the website.
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority Act 1990
- The Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act) will replace the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997 (FMA Act) and the Commonwealth Authorities and Companies Act 1997(CAC Act) on 1 July 2014.
- Marine Navigation Levy Act 1989
- Marine Navigation Levy Collection Act 1989
- Marine Navigation (Regulatory Functions) Levy Act 1991
- Marine Navigation (Regulatory Functions) Levy Collection Act 1991
- Protection of the Sea (Shipping Levy) Act 1981
- Protection of the Sea (Shipping Levy Collection) Act 1981
- Protection of the Sea (Imposition of Contributions to Oil Pollution Compensation Fund - Customs) Act 1993
- Protection of the Sea (Imposition of Contributions to Oil Pollution Compensation Fund - Excise) Act 1993
- Protection of the Sea (Imposition of Contributions to Oil Pollution Compensation Fund - General) Act 1993
- Protection of the Sea (Prevention of Pollution from Ships) Act 1983
- Protection of the Sea (Powers of Intervention) Act 1981
- Protection of the Sea (Civil Liability) Act 1981
- Protection of the Sea (Oil Pollution Compensation Fund) Act 1993
- Protection of the Sea (Harmful Anti-fouling Systems) Act 2006
- Protection of the Sea (Civil Liability of Bunker Oil Pollution Damage) Act 2008
- Navigation Act 2012
- Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law Act 2012
- Shipping Registration Act 1981
Associated Legislation (administered by Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development):
- Submarine Cables and Pipelines Protection Act 1963
- Limitation of Liability for Maritime Claims Act 1989
- Occupational Health and Safety (Maritime Industry) Act 1993
- Seafarers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1992
AMSA Annual Regulatory Plan
AMSA publishes regulatory plans to provide business and the community with information about planned changes to regulatory instruments, such as Marine Orders and Standards, to make it easier for business and the community to take part in the development of those instruments that are likely to affect them.
AMSA publishes an annual regulatory plan early in each financial year and may publish revised annual regulatory plans during the year when appropriate.
The regulatory plans contain information on:
- changes to business regulation that occurred during the previous financial year; and
- details of legislative or other action planned for the current financial year that could lead to changes in business regulation.
While there may be some regulatory activities that AMSA is unable to forecast, these activities will involve consultation with affected parties and will be recorded in future regulatory plans.